Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dirty Cups

"100 packets of ketchup!" (Big Daddy)

Morgan's class will be celebrating their 100th day at school on Friday. They were asked to bring in a collection of 100 things for the special day. Sound easy, huh?

Mommy: Why don't we count out 100 pieces of sea glass from your jars and put it in a nice new jar? (A collection she actually has and a damn fine idea, in my opinion.)
Morgan: Or maybe I can bring 100 barbies?
Mommy: You don't have 100 barbies.
Morgan: How about 100 books?
Mommy: How are you going to carry 100 books all by yourself? Let's think a little smaller.

Problem with this assignment: Morgan wants to bring in something cool, not paperclips, as the homework suggests.

We compromise and take pictures, 10 at a time, of her stuffed toys to glue to a poster board ("just like Megan [soon to be step-cousin and most recent idol] used for her project"). And I'm sorry to say, we have over 100 stuffed toys in our house.

10 pooh bears (not counting Pooh Bear Blanket)
20 penguins
10 sea mammals (not counting Beluga)
10 zoo animals
10 cats and dogs
10 bedtime friends (counting Pooh Bear Blanket and Beluga)
10 Disney characters not already categorized
10 animals found on a farm
10 story characters not already classified

Morgan took all the pictures herself. I managed to crop Zoe out of at least 3 of them.

"Crimey, we're jimmy-jacked!" (Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonians)

We do not have kids that memorized the state capitals and presidents in alphabetical order by age 2, so it's always a little surprising when one of them comes up with a nugget of info that I never outright told them.

Last fall I bought a chalkboard for our dining room, because I saw it looked really cool in a magazine.

It doesn't look quite as cool in my house. (I'm working on it.) Morgan would prefer that I just let her do all the decorating, but I stubbornly refuse to let her use my toy.

This weekend I changed the quote for the upcoming President's Day and, as usual, Morgan stood over me salivating. To distract her I asked her if she knew any names of presidents.

Morgan: Ummm....
Mommy: Remember when we went to Washington for Daddy's race and saw all the monuments.
Morgan: Oh yeah, I can picture one...I just can't remember his name...he was big and white...he was your favorite...and he starred in Night at the Museum.
Mommy: Aaaabbbbeeee
Morgan: Abraham Lincoln!

Moral of this story: Kids listen.
2nd Moral of this story: Kids listen better when you put it in a movie.

"God wouldn't have given you maracas if he didn't want you to shake them!" (Dirty Dancing)

Just a small update from the world of fitness.

Most hated words in yoga: Now we move to challenge pose.
Bejan (after adjusting me in some tortuous way): You feel the difference?
Me: Of course I feel the difference, this way hurts more!

In an effort to lose Heffelump status in ballet, I wore a black (slimming) tank top that was less form fitting. In order to do this I had to raid my maternity clothes! Not sad...not sad at all.

1 comment:

  1. It's about time you posted something new! I have been waiting impatiently! Today's post did not disappoint. I thought your sea glass idea was cool, but Megan's/Morgan's stuffed animal idea was also cool AND managed to sneak in a little math, categorizing, and fine motor skills. Loved the Lincoln quote on the chalkboard, too. But the best part was the phrase "Heffelump status," which made me laugh out loud. Now I know how to describe myself. :)

    ReplyDelete