Saturday, November 21, 2009

With Sympathy

To those in my extended family who suffered a loss today, I wanted to give the words that I've found comforting over the years. I don't know the author's name and I don't know if the poem has a title, but I had copied it down and always look back to it at these times...

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Wishing you all peace,
Your Annie

3 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you at this sad time. The Poem was written by Mary Elizabeth Frye, and there are a few slightly different versions of it.
    It is a very beautiful and moving poem.
    Hope that you found this helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems! My thoughts go out to you, especially today.
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete